Why does the glass get dirty on my gas fireplace, and how often should I be cleaning it? The answer: it depends, because there are many factors that affect cleanliness of the window on your gas fireplace or stove.
The build up on the window of a gas fireplace is often a white haze, a black soot, or maybe both. In any event, regular cleaning with a good fireplace glass cleaner should do the trick at getting the window to sparkle like new.
The white build up, often described as a “cloudy” look to the glass, results for a few reasons. When a fireplace is started up from a cold state, condensation may be noticed on the inside of the glass. As the water evaporates and the fireplace glass gets hot, water spots (or mineral deposits) may develop, and leave the window looking like a dirty piece of glassware from the dishwasher. This build up can me stubborn to remove, and may require you to polish it off with an appropriate glass cleaner that contains mild abrasives. CAUTION: using the wrong kind of cleaner or abrasives will scratch the glass leaving you with swirl marks. The only remedy if this happens is to replace the glass.
If the build up on the glass is black, then you have soot build up. Soot is the product of cold or incomplete combustion. Gas fireplaces are engineered to burn cleanly, and if you are experiencing incomplete combustions, then your fireplace needs to be inspected and/or tuned up. Gas pressure, burner settings, and log positioning play a role in clean and complete combustion. You may check these factors yourself, but most people contact a hearth professional for this service. In addition to tuning the fireplace, a thorough cleaning and detailing is often part of the service call.
Soot build up should be monitored closely, and if significant, fireplace use should be discontinued until a remedy is found. In addition to the build up on the glass, you may be getting buildup on the logs, the interior of the firebox, and the outside venting on the house. Cleaning all of these affected areas can elevate a minor cleaning to a major cleaning, costing you more money.
Some other thoughts:
Do NOT touch the glass or any metal part of your fireplace. These are heat producing appliances and you can be burned by them.
The Maximum allowable surface temperature is 117° F OVER ambient (room) temperature. Thus, if a room is 70° – 80° the exposed combustible surfaces immediately surrounding the Fireplace can have a surface temperature as high as 187° F. – 197° F. (Too hot to touch) and still be safe.
Yes, Call for a service technician to come out and take a look
NO – Then you need to break-in your fireplaceDuring the initial burn and curing cycle of any fireplace, it is normal for the appliance and any accessory item installed on the Product to emit some amounts of smoke and odors.
The sources of the emitted smoke and odor are normal emission of paint curing chemical reaction at high temperatures, evaporation of manufacturing related oils or lubrication, small amounts of dextrin emitted from heated gaskets and insulation materials and small amounts (less than 0.5 grams) of polyester burning emissions from glass gasket adhesive film.
Smoke emission is to be expected for the first 2-1/2 hours of initial burn on high fire with fans turned off. Remove or disconnect any smoke alarms which may alarm during this period of initial burn. Prior to initial firing, it is required that the glass gasket to firebox face seal be thoroughly inspected to make certain glass gasket is seated properly and sealing properly. (This is done by our technicians during the finish on the fireplace )
It is recommended that during the first 2-1/2 hours of initial burn, that all windows in the room be opened to evacuate emitted smoke and odors. If anyone in the home has allergies or any is sensitive to smells or smoke that they not be in the home during the initial burn of the fireplace.
Following the initial burn, some slight odors may be present but will diminish with further use and will completely dissipate.
Any odors that are emitted from the appliance are of non-toxic origin.