Renaissance Fireplaces , a division of the Industrial Chimney Company , also knows their stuff. As a recognized leader in both chimney and fireplace design, they broke new ground in with the unveiling of their new fireplace – the Rumford 1000. It all started with an industry challenge – build an open door fireplace that would burn as cleanly as a modern day, high efficiency wood stove.
At a time when reduced emissions and high efficiency are held in high regard, traditional wood fireplaces with large viewing areas have been losing ground to their smaller and cleaner counterparts – especially in colder climates. The smaller and popular breed of fireplace resembles a wood stove; air-tight combustion design, baffling in the firebox to retain the smoke and heat as long as possible, and a slow and lazy burn whose warmth can nudge any onlooker into a fascinated trance. But it’s not for everybody.
Until now, the firebug who wanted to enjoy the snap and crackle of burning wood, and the dance and roar of a standing flame had to pay a price. Tolerating cold down drafts, difficult start-ups, and smoke spilling into the house if conditions were not ideal was only the beginning. Add the odor of the chimney, dirty glass that hides the fire, and a thankless pittance of heat for the effort and it’s no wonder that holiday gatherings around the fire were filled with snickers and guffaws.
Now the game has changed. The modern day Rumford 1000, much like it’s name sake of centuries past, makes building a wood burning fire easy and effortless . Boasting a viewing area that is over 1000 square inches (wood stoves and other fireplaces offer viewing areas closer to 350 sq. in), and guillotine door and screen systems that slide out of your way when not wanted, you can enjoy the feeling of having a bonfire in your living room, without having to send smoke signals to the neighbors!
In addition to the Vesta Award from it’s own industry, the U.S. EPA and the Interior Designers of Canada have saluted this feat of engineering with the Clean Air Excellence Award and an Award for Innovation respectively. How did they do it?
Do NOT touch the glass or any metal part of your fireplace. These are heat producing appliances and you can be burned by them.
The Maximum allowable surface temperature is 117° F OVER ambient (room) temperature. Thus, if a room is 70° – 80° the exposed combustible surfaces immediately surrounding the Fireplace can have a surface temperature as high as 187° F. – 197° F. (Too hot to touch) and still be safe.
Yes, Call for a service technician to come out and take a look
NO – Then you need to break-in your fireplaceDuring the initial burn and curing cycle of any fireplace, it is normal for the appliance and any accessory item installed on the Product to emit some amounts of smoke and odors.
The sources of the emitted smoke and odor are normal emission of paint curing chemical reaction at high temperatures, evaporation of manufacturing related oils or lubrication, small amounts of dextrin emitted from heated gaskets and insulation materials and small amounts (less than 0.5 grams) of polyester burning emissions from glass gasket adhesive film.
Smoke emission is to be expected for the first 2-1/2 hours of initial burn on high fire with fans turned off. Remove or disconnect any smoke alarms which may alarm during this period of initial burn. Prior to initial firing, it is required that the glass gasket to firebox face seal be thoroughly inspected to make certain glass gasket is seated properly and sealing properly. (This is done by our technicians during the finish on the fireplace )
It is recommended that during the first 2-1/2 hours of initial burn, that all windows in the room be opened to evacuate emitted smoke and odors. If anyone in the home has allergies or any is sensitive to smells or smoke that they not be in the home during the initial burn of the fireplace.
Following the initial burn, some slight odors may be present but will diminish with further use and will completely dissipate.
Any odors that are emitted from the appliance are of non-toxic origin.